Recording City Eastern Serenade-Oct/2015

Recording City Eastern Serenade-Oct/2015



City Eastern Serenade is a collection of 8 original songs- some newer than others, some never recorded, or recorded properly. I just wanted to get these tunes out there, and get themn out in a format I thought was right- the right feel, the right mix, and overall sound. It took a while to get done, but I’m pretty happy with the way these turned out. The folks who played on this recording were great- I had some of the steady, long-time musicians who have been playing with me for a while, and some new blood adding percussion, backgrounds, and other pieces to the puzzle. I can’t tell you how fortunate I feel to have such a group of talented people come in and make something out of a few chords, lyrics and melodies.



I have to confess, I stole the name of the album from Sterling McGee, (aka Mr. Satan). Mr. McGee was playing at a festival and someone asked him what kind of music he played- he replied, “Some people have labels for music, like “soul” “blues” “rock and roll” “jazz” “country western”- we like to call our music “City Eastern”- I always loved that phrase, and thought it captured the spirit of this Dirt Nappers record somewhat- a mishmash of a few musical styles. I grew up listening to such a variety of music, so it only makes sense to twist that phrase into an album title for a collection of tunes that has cry-in-your beer steel guitars, Memphis-influence saxaphones, a few ripping guitar solos, and some soulful background singers.





Fair warning, I’m already thinking about the next record.



Thanks-fm

Back to homepage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I really didn't set out to make a racist children's record.........

A Few Memories, Sights and Sounds of Scotland -a real special place.

It's about that time of the new year, my top music picks from 2018....