On The Deuce- This song should be that HBO's show theme song Although I haven’t been catching all the episodes, HBO’s latest series “The Deuce” has done a great job in triggering some memories. Some of us actually sit around and swap stories, romantically looking back at the old Times Square/42nd Street area with a fondness for the grit, smut and drugs that used to permeate the concrete. It wasn’t Kansas, and definitely not Disneyland, and I remember being offered a wad of cocaine in a phone booth once, grabbing a $5 dinner at Brew and Burger with an all you can drink side mug of beer (usually you got thrown out after 7 or 8 mugs) and getting the best movie value a quarter could buy. But I never heard the nickname “The Deuce” until 1989. In ’89, I had the insane idea of starting an independent record label with a buddy of mine, Gene Campanelli, and the first record we produced was a collection of New York City based blues and R&B artists. We really had no idea what we w...
Popular posts from this blog
I really didn't set out to make a racist children's record.........
The kids featured on the cover of Frank Migliorelli & The Dirt Napper’s potentially racist children’s record, “We’re Not Kiddin’ Around”-Rob Steen, Illustrator The Association of Library Services For Children (ALSC) thinks my children’s record, “We’re Not Kiddin’ Around”, contains potentially racist material…I just want to clarify a few things…… The album cover for “We’re Not Kiddin’ Around” ( www.musickideos.com ) Recently I was surprised the American Library Association’s Association of Library Services For Children (www.ALSC.org) informed me that my children’s record promoted some potentially racist and offensive concepts noting a few of the books that we sing about on our new record “We’re Not Kiddin’ Around”. I had submitted a number of banner ads to run on their website, and responded to their initial inquiry into possibly writing a blog post for them. Weeks after submitting the materials, I received this response from their Membership and Marketing Specialist, Ms...
A drinker's guide to the best music of 2017.....my top 10 for your ears, along with appropriate pairings.
So much music, so little time…this year’s list feels a bit incomplete- there are so many records still on “my list” that I haven't gotten to yet-but I’ll let the year fade and draw the line, because I have to start tracking 2018…..But for now in no particular order, except for my "fave" mentioned below, here are what I think are the best releases of the year (2017)….along with some drink suggestions for you.....just because! To make it even easier, feel free to check out the Spotify playlist that features selections from each pick- My fave for the year: Hurray for the Riff Raff- “The Navigator” -This is the record I kept coming back to to again and again this year. Spanning a host of musical genres, some great recording, and and a wealth of songwriting and story telling make for my favorite album of the year. Alynda Segarra’s songwriting captures a new kind of Americana- traditional sounds with a Latino infused beat that weaves a story that is more relevant now t...

Comments
Post a Comment